Monday 16 July 2012

Mediterranean Patties

Before I move on the recipe, I do have to declare the mushroom picking season hereby opened! I found these little beauties on my way to the shop. They are chanterelles and one of my favourite mushrooms (but not number one though). So far this summer, the fresh chanterelles sold in Finland have been from Estonia but soon we can go pick our own. Half the fun is finding and picking them, it's like treasure hunting!


And now onwards with the recipe.

Years back, to my great astonishment I had lovely-tasting mediterranean meatballs at one of the canteens of Oulu University. I say "to my astonishment" as taste of food in that kind of canteens tends to be rather mediocre and even bland. In a way it's undestandable as they have to produce food for masses of students and do it cheap. Though I have to say for Julinia that their deli-line served a bit more special meals for very, very nice price/quality ratio.Yummy! Anyways. that time I was truly surprised by the taste of those mediterranean meatballs. I liked them so much, to the point I wanted to replicate the taste. I have done a few attempts, and here's the most successful so far.

Notes: Don't add salt, capers and olives contain enough already. Use meat that contains at least 10% fat, the skinnier ones tend to dry too much. This recipe makes for 2, use 400gr meat if you have hungry dinner company,  and add a tad more of the other ingredients.
  • 300 gr beef mince, or mix of pork and beef mince (20/80) 
  • Onion (medium)
  • 2 tsp small capers
  • 2 tbsp black kalamata olives
  • Black pepper
  • 0,5 tsp fresh thyme (or to taste)
  • Oil or butter for frying

1. Dice onion quite finely and chop capers and olives into tiny bits. I use a heavy knife to chop but it's ok to put them into a blender for a few twists, too.






2. Put onions and capers into a bowl with the meat, thyme and grind some black pepper over. Mix thoroughly.







3. Pat the meat into small patties (3-4 cm). I roll them in a meatball with my hands and then press slightly to flatten.








4. Fry the patties on a well warmed-up pan over good (but not too hot) heat.




 



4. Fry on other side, then when you see red meat juices start to prickle on the surface of the patty, turn them over and fry the other side until you see the juice prickle again (here I let the juice come through well for the sake of the picture, less is enough usually). Remove from heat.






5. Serve with garlic yoghurt (scroll down for recipe) and oven roasted vegetables or a nice salad.








No comments:

Post a Comment